The Basin Reserve Masterplan
In 2014, the Basin Reserve Trust led the development of a Masterplan (647KB PDF). This plan presented a 25-year vision for the future of the Basin Reserve. Its key features are to:
- maintain the premiere test status of the Basin Reserve
- make improvements to the ground as a recreation space for the community.
To achieve this, we must:
- protect the reputation of the Basin Reserve and promote its value to the city and local community
- strengthen its “village green” feel for the local community and cricket users
- raise its status as a recreation reserve
- celebrate its historic connection with cricket
- maintain its status as the premier test cricket venue in New Zealand
- keep it as the home of the Wellington Firebirds and Blaze cricket teams
- continue working with Westpac Stadium to host all international cricket events in Wellington
- open it up more to the people of Wellington and increase community activity within it
- make it more outward-facing and improve connections with the surrounding areas
- build flexibility into the Masterplan to accommodate future decisions on the roading solution for State Highway 1 and development of urban precincts to the north and south
The Basin Reserve Masterplan was endorsed by the Council in April 2015 as a blueprint for redeveloping this area.